Mold Myths: Common Misconceptions About Mold in the Home

Mold is a common problem in many homes, and it can be difficult to deal with. Unfortunately, there are many myths and misconceptions about mold that can make it even harder to identify and treat. In this blog post, we’ll debunk some of the most common mold myths and misconceptions about mold in the home.

Myth #1: Only Black Mold is Dangerous

One of the most common myths about mold is that only black mold is dangerous. In reality, the color of mold has nothing to do with its toxicity. While some types of mold are more toxic than others, it’s impossible to determine the toxicity of mold based on its color alone. Any type of mold can cause a plethora of health complications, especially if the mold is left untreated.

Myth #2: Mold is Always Visible

Another common myth about mold is that it’s always visible. In reality, mold can grow in hidden places, such as inside walls, under carpets, and in air ducts. Just because you can’t see mold doesn’t mean it’s not there. If you notice a musty smell or have unexplained health problems, it’s important to have your home assessed for mold. 

Myth #3: Bleach Kills Mold

Many people believe that bleach is an effective way to kill mold. While bleach can kill some types of mold on non-porous surfaces, it’s not effective on porous surfaces, such as wood or drywall. In addition, bleach can actually make the problem worse by releasing mold spores into the air. If you have a mold problem, it’s best to hire a professional mold remediation company to safely and effectively remove the mold.

Myth #4: Your Home Can Be 100% Mold-Free

Another common mold myth is that your home can be 100% mold-free. In reality, mold spores are present everywhere, both indoors and outdoors. While it’s impossible to completely eliminate mold from your home, you can take steps to prevent mold growth, such as fixing leaks and controlling humidity levels.

Myth #5: Mold is Harmless

Some people believe that mold is harmless and that it’s just a cosmetic issue. In reality, mold can cause a variety of health problems, including respiratory issues, allergies, and even brain damage. In addition, mold can cause structural damage to your home if left untreated. If you suspect you have a mold problem, it’s important to take action to address it promptly.

There are many myths and misconceptions about mold in the home. By understanding the truth about mold, you can take steps to prevent mold growth and address mold problems promptly. If you have a mold problem in your home, it’s best to hire a professional mold assessor to safely evaluate your home for mold. Don’t let mold myths and misconceptions about mold put your health and home at risk. 

A Reminder about Mold Assessments and Mold Inspections

When seeking professional help with mold, it is important to hire an assessor who is certified by New York State. Inspecticore is not just a home inspection company- We are New York State Certified Mold Assessors. While many home inspectors perform a visual check for mold-like substances, an inspector may only provide a description of what is seen, without confirmation of the presence or absence of mold. As a mold assessor, our New York State certified and professionally trained technicians perform tests, including air sampling, that reveal the actual presence of mold on surfaces and in the breathable air, and its toxicity. Understanding the difference between a mold inspection and a mold assessment is the first step in ensuring your family’s health and safety. 

If you are looking for a mold assessment on Long Island, Inspecticore is certified, trusted, and ready to serve you with all your mold assessment and home inspection needs. 

Before You Go!

Schedule Your Inspection Today!